Review of Victory Octane Custom “Ignition Concept” by Erbacher
European drag racer and custom bike builder Urs Erbacher took on the challenge of wrapping this motor in a package capable of putting the world-class power to the ground. The concept features and aggressive stand and frames the engine with a castaluminum chassis, performance suspension and brakes with an aggressive Project 156 inspired paint scheme.
Victory Octane specs
Erbacher examined Victory Motorcycles’ existing cruiser line-up and created a concept that would put the new V-Twin engine at the heart of the bike.
This has the same base architecture in the prototype engine used in Project 156 – the crank-case, v-angle, rotating bottom-end, transmission and clutch set-up is all the same. The liquid-cooled four-valve engine has double overhead cams with the aim of making class-leading power. Additional details of the engine will be revealed in the months to come.
Erbacher and his team have handmade twin headers that snake out from the cylinders into a single pipe and then into an Akrapovic® muffler. The idea is to create the shortest exhaust for maximum performance.
The front and rear suspension are adjustable. Marzocchi forks stand proud at the front and Erbacher explains why: “We have used the same forks on our “Erbacher The One” custom bike for the past three years. The forks are really nice to ride with and they absorb a lot on bad streets. With the 50mm extra height in the front it gives you a more lean angle. The good thing is, we can also mount the Brembo® brake on this fork and it brakes like a race bike.”
Erbacher and his team put an Ohlins® shock at the rear between the frame and the swing-arm.
Erbacher chose 17″ wheels made from aluminum. “These are superlight and are the right size for the Metzeler Racetec Interact tires we are using,” says Erbacher. “They give the bike a great look.We chose the red color as a nod to the Project 156 bike.”
- Exhaust System: Erbacher handmade headers with an Akrapovic muffler
- Front Tire Type: Metzeler Racetec Interact Front Tire Size: 120/70 ZR17
- Front Wheel Type: Alloy
- Front Wheel Size: 3.5″ x 17″
- Rear Tire Type: Metzeler Racetec Interact Rear Tire Size: 200/55 ZR 17
- Rear Wheel Type: Alloy
- Rear Wheel Size: 6.00 x 17
- Suspension: Front – Type/Travel 120mm
- Front Fork Tube Diameter: 50mm
- Suspension: Rear – Type/Travel 76mm Brakes/Front Dual discs, Brembo® M4 Monobloc Brakes/Rear Single disc OEM
- Headlight: Erbacher
- Tail/Brake: Erbacher
- Turn Signals: Erbacher
- License Plate Light: Erbacher
- Speedometer & Indicator Lights: Motogadget